Vegan Hot Cross Buns
Get Easter-ready with this delicious plant-based hot cross bun recipe! Using only vegan ingredients, know you can still enjoy the taste and fun of hot cross buns without needing all that extra dairy.
If you love to bake then you'll love treating yourself to these snackalicious buns, complimented with warming spices and apricot glaze!
- 250ml Almond Milk
- 50g Vegan Spread
- 450g Bread Flour
- 6g Yeast
- 60g Caster Sugar
- 3 teaspoons Cinnamon
- 3 teaspoons Mixed Spice
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 Large Zested Orange
- 60g Sultanas
- 50g Mixed Peel
- For glazing: 50g Jam (like apricot)
- For crosses: 0.5 cup Cashew butter + 0.25 cup Honey
1. In a saucepan, put the almond milk over medium heat. Add the spread once it's simmering, then remove from heat and allow to melt. It should be at a 'cool to hand' temperature once done.
2. In a large mixing bowl, mix the sugar, flour, spices and salt.
3. Make a well in the middle to pour in the milk mixture, creating a sticky dough by combining with a wooden spoon.
4. Place the mixture onto a lightly floured surface.
5. Knead the dough until smooth and stringy.
6. Create into a ball and place in a covered bowl.
7. Leave for an hour in a warm spot so it rises.
8. On your lined baking tray, place the dough and softly punch out the air. Divide it into desired amount of serves - 12 is recommended.
9. Lightly oil glad wrap and leave for 45 minutes to rise.
10. Preheat your oven to 220 degrees celsius. Mix together the crosses ingredients in a small bowl and create the crosses on your hot cross buns.
11. Bake for approx. 15 minutes until golden brown.
12. Gently heat the jam and then brush over the top of the hot cross buns.
12. Remember to set aside to cool before eating!